“For years, I have told young officers that most of what I know about military life I learned in my first eight weeks at Fort Benning. I can sum up those lessons in a few maxims…
- “Take charge of this post and all government property in view.” – The Army’s first general order.
- The mission is primary, followed by taking care of your soldiers.
- Don’t stand there. Do something.
- Lead by example.
- “No excuse, sir”.
- Officers always eat last.
- Never forget, you are an American infantryman, the best.
- And never be without a watch, a pencil and a notepad.”
– Colin Powell
April 5, 1937 – present
1995, page xxx, ISBN 0-345-40728-8